Today I’m joined by a very special guest, Craig McGinlay! Some of you may know Craig from his coveted and renowned role as Percival in ‘King Arthur: Legend of The Sword’, or from his appearances in the critically acclaimed series ‘Outlander’ and ‘Knightfall’. Having come from a background as a rugby professional player, Craig has definitely worn many hats across many different industries and has pursued his passion for acting with an amazing perspective and outlook on the craft.
In this episode, we discuss the ways in which Craig has honed his skills as a performer and actively learned from the practical experience he’s gained on set, why our ego needs to be put aside in order to be successful as performers, as well as how he made his childhood dream a reality. We also get into Craig’s experience working alongside ‘Sons of Anarchy’ star, Charlie Hunnam, as well as what he’s learned from being directed by a prolific and renowned figure in the entertainment industry, Guy Ritchie.
To hear more, tune in to Episode 9 of The Heart of Show Business!
Some Questions I Ask:
- When was the moment you realised you wanted to pursue acting and transition out of coaching sports? (2:54)
- Had you ever travelled outside of Scotland before you became an Actor? (14:12)
- Have you ever had the desire to pack up and move to Hollywood, or do you prefer living in Europe? (15:55)
- Could you expand on the connection you have with your roots as a Scotsman & How that has tied into your acting roles? (18:41)
- Has there ever been a low point in your career or personal life that you’ve had to dig yourself out of? (21:18)
- Where do you see yourself ten years from now? (29:55)
- What is the number one thing that you use to get yourself into a strong headspace? (31:25)
In This Episode You Will Learn:
- Working with Guy Ritchie and soccer legend David Beckham and the trajectory towards pursuing acting full time (3:26)
- Craig’s experience filming in Bollywood & why he fell in love with the culture on set (8:40)
- The opportunities Craig has been offered during lockdown as a Producer & How the pandemic has affected his most recent projects (9:56)
- How having practical experience on film and TV sets has taught Craig so much about the industry and enriched his knowledge in other aspects of the creative process (11:08)
- The effect that the film ‘Braveheart’ had on me personally and my involvement in the upcoming Television Series (17:49)
- How Craig has actively worked to hone his skills as an Actor (23:12)
- Why our ego needs to be put aside in order to be successful in this industry & Craig’s advice for aspiring performers (26:31)
Connect With Craig McGinlay: